Nuffnang

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Expired Medicine+ Maid

Last night my maid told us that she had stomachache. After asking where was the pain, we found out that it was actually gastric pain. A bit surprised because we have so many types of food for her to eat in the kitchen, such as bread with peanut butter, jam, butter spread, assorted cookies, different flavor instant noodle where she can add in eggs, meat and vegetable whenever she wants.


We even provide her Milo, milk, imported chocolate drinks, different types of tea and coffee for her (at first she preferred Milo, then switched to milk everyday). She dislikes tea and coffee. Emm..... Wonder she had overeaten or starved that caused her gastric problem?


Then she told us that she hardly eat bread nowadays. Depends on her mood. If she wants to eat, she will take it, else will only take biscuits with milk. Sometimes feel fed up with the food, she only drinks milk when she is hungry. As for the noodle, she prefers Indo Mee only (which she finished long time ago). Other flavors which we bought for her are chicken, curry and tomyam. She doesn't eat those because it's not the one she likes. We told her that we will only buy Indo Mee after she finished the other flavor. Gosh. How can she be so choosy!


Anyway, when my hubby and I tried to get her medicine from our first aid box, we found out that most of our medicine are expired. After discarding, the first aid box looks so empty now. Luckily the medicine she needs only expired in 2012 so we needn't go out to buy for her. Taught her how/when to eat. (One thing that makes me worry is that, my maid takes painkiller too often. She can finish the Paracetamol (Panadol) very fast. Whenever she feels slightly uncomfortable, she will pop one into her mouth. Told her not to do that already, she said that makes her feel better. Hope her kidney and liver will be fine.)

 When I got back to the room, I asked my hubby, "Since when I had became a doctor?"



 Look at the medicine we can't keep.

My hubby said, it is such a waste to throw all these 'new' medicine away. I told him that we should feel happy that we were all so healthy and needn't swallow all those for the past few years.

All these reminded me that I was weak, got sick easily and need all those medicine to sustain previously. Seems like what the old people said is true, "Must have proper confinement food to get enough nutrition. Your weak body can get heal forever in this period of time."

Sometimes I just don't really understand my maid. Although she is from poor family, she doesn't really cherish food like what my hubby and I do. She will throw away the food she can't finish and refuse to eat the food she dislikes.


For example that day we brought her to Pizza Hut. She threw away the toppings because she dislikes them (gosh, should only let her eat dough then). My husband and I finished everything but she just treated those topping as lousy food.



Not only that, at home, she will not touch/eat/cook the things she dislikes too, such as cucumber, watermelon, carrot, tomato, winter melon, midin, paku-pakis, peas, corn, celery, cauliflower, cabbage, bean sprout, etc. I found out that she tried to avoid in cooking those vegetable and waited till they got rotten so that she could threw them away. Then I learn to check the fridge from time to time, told her what to cook for the next meal, avoiding her to continue such bad habit.


To her, vegetable are cheap food where she can get it easily at the jungle when she was at her hometown, so she throws the leaf of the vegetable when there is a bit yellowish or holes, eaten by the worms. (whereas we will only throw the part which is not nice and keep the rest). So most of the time, one plate of vegetable dish, we will be eating the stem rather than the leaf. Told her many times, seems like she doesn't really 'understand' that vegetable are not cheap at all.



Sigh. Can only be patient and look at the bright side. Well, with her help, I'm less stressful with the housework, only need to concentrate on my princess. So, I should learn how to give THANKS and 'educate' her + close one eye at the same time.

4 comments:

  1. My colleague's maid also likes to take pain killer. Maybe they think that painkiller is 仙丹。

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vegetable and couldn't understand those who don't. Meat always appears to be a rare commodity. I notice people from China generally favour meat over vegetable, 无肉不欢。But Taiwanese people are generally more health conscious and cut down meat intake yet increase their fruit and vege intake.

    I can live without meat but not vege. After falling in love to Indian food, I realize it's not hard to be a vegetarian at all, thanks to its huge array of dahl dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. she seems to be young, immature and uneconomical, not to mention a little bit of a drama-queen. i find her painkiller habit slightly disturbing even though it's just paracetamols. i personally feel much safer with women around over their 50s, especially if they have experience and very good references.

    i would suggest that you talk to her and make sure you set some ground rules on being economical or else find someone who doesn't cause you too much aggravation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seems to be the case with maids - even though they may be poor, but they are highly choosy and wasteful. And if the food is not finished, they just throw it away. It's sinful!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, thanks!