Nuffnang

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sarawak Laksa

Super Mega Bowl Sarawak Laksa

Super Mega Bowl Vegetarian Sarawak Laksa


I have been craving for Sarawak Laksa ever since I have moved to Miri.

Every time when I visit Kuching, I will definitely try to have laksa for my breakfast on every morning. I know it's fattening but I just couldn't resist. In the end, I decided to cook Sarawak Laksa at home for my family!

Some of my friends asked for the recipe, here you are:

This is the recipe for Sarawak Laksa which I cooked the other day. Good enough for 5- 20 bowls, depends whether you are a big eater like me or not. @.@

Ingredients
  • 750g  of Bee Hoon (rice vermicelli) (pre-soaked)
  • 1kg of medium-sized or big prawns
  • 1/4 of chicken thigh + drum stick (some people prefer breast meat though)
  • 4 eggs
  • 500g of bean sprouts
  • 10 to 20 pieces of lime (depends on how sour you want it to be)
  • 900g of Sarawak Laksa paste (I used the “Swallow” brand)
  • 300ml of coconut milk
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 bowl of water (about 4 litres)
  • Coriander leaves (for garnishing)
Method:

Prepare the soup:  
Once the water is boiled, add in the Sarawak paste and let it continue to boil for 45 minutes. Then turn off  the heat and sieve to remove the spice from the stock. Bring the stock (now laksa soup) to boil again. Turn off heat and add coconut milk gradually whilst stirring. Add some salt to taste.

p/s: I always like to start with the soup first so that I can start preparing other ingredients while waiting for the water to boil. 

Prepare the eggs:

Beat eggs and fry them on a frying pan. Cut into strips. Set aside.

Prepare the prawns:
Boil the prawns till they start to float or turned red, indicating that they are cooked. Remove the prawns and let it cool.

Prepare the chicken: 
Boil till chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove chicken and let it cool. Remove chicken meat from bones and shred the meat using fingers. Set aside.

Prepare the bean sprout:  
Blanch the beansprouts in 3 batches for 1 minute each. Drain beansprouts and set aside.

Prepare the beehoon:  
Cook the pre-soaked beehoon in 4 to 5 batches by blanching them in boiling water for at least 1 minute. Drain and set aside.

To serve:
Place cooked beehoon on a bowl. Add beansprouts, shredded chicken, prawns and egg strips. Then pour the laksa soup over the ingredients. Garnish with coriander leaves and squeeze a lime over the soup before eating.

Well, this is a simple recipe for Sarawak Laksa. However, if you are a vegetarian, just changed the ingredients of chicken to mock meat, fresh prawn to mock prawn, eggs to bean curd and some green vegetable for balance diet will do. Enjoy your meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, thanks!